Office Phone: 516.767.5868
Turnitin Class ID: 4783600 Password: gokturk
Advanced Composition is a course which stresses improving your essay writing skills. You will read fiction and non-fiction, essays, newspaper and magazine articles, your peers’ essays, and anything else we can find to inspire. This course is about you. You will write about you, your experiences, people you love and hate, your views on the readings, your opinions of the world, and you will pursue your own interests for research. You are the main subject!
Models for Writers assigned readings
Albert Camus’ The Stranger (novel) and The Misunderstanding (play)
Israel Horovitz’ Line (play)
The Matrix and / or Stranger Than Fiction (films)
What is Expected?
· Thoughtful Discussion & Positive Energy in the Class
· A Commitment to the Writing Process During All Stages
· Thoughtful Written Responses
· Many Types of Interesting Essays -- Personal Narrative, Biography, Argument, Multi-Genre, Research, Process, Outside reading Portfolio, etc. (Yes, you will end up with some college essays!)
· Solid Peer Editing
· Final End of the Semester Portfolio [all work revised]
1. Personal Narrative / Memoir: Significant Moment Essay*
2. Biography: Person of Influence Essay*
4. Literature: The Stranger, The Misunderstanding, Line, The Matrix
5. Literary Analysis: The Multi-Genre Essay / Existentialism
6. Process Analysis: The How To Essay*
7. Argument & Persuasion: Editorials and Op-Eds*
8. Personal Research Essay & Photo Story Presentation
9. Portfolio: Make a beautiful house for all your work!
10. Regents Review (Juniors) / Memoir Writing (Seniors)
This personal statement helps us become acquainted with you in ways different from courses, grades, test scores, and other objective data. We are looking for an essay that will help us know you better as a student and a person. Please write an essay (250-500 words) on a topic of your choice or one of the options listed below.