Definition Essay Prewriting Task
(from Mrs. Beachy’s site http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6655/index.html)
Complete the following steps in the process of collecting details for your definition essay:
1. Select a word that you plan to investigate. The word should have some interest, importance, or meaning to you personally. Example: Jerk, Mother, or Laughter...
2. Begin by writing down a few simple statements about your word: "A Jerk is... A Mother is ....Laughter is ......"
3. Now record the word's dictionary definition:
4. Classify your word:
Part of Speech: noun, verb, adjective, adverb
General Type: character trait, political term, value, religion, literary term, etc.
5. In a thesaurus, discover words that have similar meanings.
a. Write out a series of negative definitions: (Laughter is not.....)
b. Make a list of subtle and borderline comparisons: (Laughter may seem similar to humor, but ....)
7. Identify at least two extended examples which illustrate the word.
8. After your research, determine a particular thesis or main idea about your word.