NAME : ______________________
Welcome to the 1940s!
POWERPOINT PROJECT ASSIGNMENT
in 1951, Catcher in the Rye takes place during the 1940s, which were an
interesting time in
THE SITUATION: The class needs to know the background of the novel to enrich their understanding. Rather than have a boring Ms. Gokturk lecture you about what life was like, you will teach the class about a particular segment of the 1940s.
· Your slideshow must have a minimum of 5 CONTENT slides PER PERSON
· Your slideshow must have one title slide
slideshow must have one citation slide that utilizes proper MLA style. Follow
· You should use your slideshow as an aid to help you present. Don’t write out every single thing on your slides. That’s B-O-R-I-N-G!
· DO NOT COPY AND PASTE FROM THE SITES. Your job is to synthesize the information into a fresh, interesting way. Please follow the guidelines given in class.
· EXTRA CREDIT: Include a handout that teaches what your show is about. This should not be the slideshow. You should synthesize key ideas in bullet form onto ONE side of a sheet paper. Think about this as a cheat sheet that could be used by your classmates to study for a test on the subject. Be sure to refer to the handout during the presentation to help clarify or illustrate points. DO NOT PRINT MULTIPLE COPIES ON THE PRINTER. Please use Xerox.
To begin, roll around the 1940s to get a taste:
TOPICS: Please, no more than one slideshow per topic – hurry up and sign up now!
I have recommended sites for starting places for information. These are not the only sites available. You should conduct your own searches and look in books and databases as supplements. Try the DECADES CD-ROM in the library. It's totally the cat's meow.
Graphics: While you are searching, save any relevant images that you might use in your PP. Use NETSCAPE to save any photos or images; all images must save as a .gif or .jpg extension. A .bmp = a bitmap, which is really, really bad. It's gigantic and will crash your presentation.
ð Cultural History -- What Happened During the 40s and early 50s?
o Baby Boom http://www.bbhq.com/bomrstat.htm
o World War II http://www.u.arizona.edu/~kari/rosie.htm
o Religion & beliefs
o Include President Truman and other major people or moments in 1940s politics
o Political parties and political trends
o Welfare/public assistance/homelessness, etc.)
ð Fashion: Men’s and Women’s, Boys’ and Girls’
ð Pop History, Fads, and Lifestyles (pick highlights to present):
o Jitterbug Dance, Ziegfield Follies, Lindy Hop, The Slinky, etc.
ð Cars:1940s and early 1950s Automobiles
ð History of Education in the 1940s
ð Music: of the 1940s and early 1950s (Don't forget the wartime music, swing, big band, etc.)
ð Science of the 40s: Technology, Computers, Medical Advancements of the 1940s
o Analyze any new developments that we may take for granted
ð Poets and Painters
o The Beat Movement
o Abstract Expressionism -- Jackson Pollack
o Architecture: What didn't exist then? What was built during this decade?
and Night Clubs, (i.e. the Savoy Ballroom in
ð About the Author, J.D. Salinger
o Many other links exist!
ð Censorship of Catcher in the Rye throughout the decades
ð Mass Media: TV & Advertising – what was it like back then?
ð 1940s Sports (look for major sports figures and favorite sports)
o Jackie Robinson http://www2.tltc.ttu.edu/Harper/3338Sports/Weblinks/1920-1950/1940s.htm
o Olympics during WWII
ð HOLLYWOOD -- Movie stars and their movies: The Biggies