Compare and Contrast “The Last Flower,” “The Garden of Earthly Delights,” and “Adam and No Eve” Group Work
Select TWO works from above to compare and contrast. Identify a discussion point to analyze the pieces. Then, for each, identify the points below to explore how each author/artist explores that point. Create a graphic organizer (chart, Venn, image map, etc.) to compare/contrast the works.
1. Find a discussion point that ties two of the pieces together. Write 1-2 clear sentences to serves as the title/focal point. Include the titles and authors/artist.
For each work, identify and support each of the following (not necessarily in this order):
2. THEME: explain how the author’s message relates to your discussion point.
3. MOTIF/S: What motifs can you identify in the works that help develop your discussion point and the author’s theme? Identify and explain.
4. PASSAGE ANALYSIS: Write out a quote/passage to analyze as it supports your discussion point. (For the painting, pinpoint an image from the work—describe and explain.)
5. SYMBOL: Find concrete objects in both works. Discuss how each symbol in each work supports to your discussion point.