End of the World
Pamela Zoline’s “The Heat Death of the Universe” Show & Tell Pre-Reading Research Activity
Use our online databases through the Portnet site [library ŕ reference ŕ Worldbook Encyclopedia or try PWPL Port Washington Public Library sites and seek encyclopedias like Britannica Online. When using the Internet, be careful that you are using a legitimate site. CROSS REFERENCE: don’t just assume the first answer is correct. Visit multiple sites and compare and then synthesize! You will need to explain your term using your OWN words to the class: you’re the expert! Wherever possible, please print an image to illustrate the term.
Terms/Words/Names to Define
2. Does hair grow after death?
3. Foraminifera [define and print large images to illustrate]
4. Define Existentialism
5. Sarah [name significance; Biblical?]
6. Boyle’s Law [physics, simplified]
7. Sloss [name significance pre-1967?]
8. J.S. Bach [type of musical style, form, brief bio; number of children]
9. Fugue [define the different kinds of fugues -- musical and psychological]
11. Alameda, California. Describe place.
12. La Florida expedition (Ponce de Leon)
13. Frosted Flakes history – include some taglines [print picture of box from late 60s]
14. Pop Art [define; see Andy Warhol; images, please]
15. King Solomon’s Judgment [see two mothers’ story; how is he characterized?]
16. California Gold Rush / Manifest Destiny
17. Mind’s Eye definition
18. Transparent eyeball; Emerson’s “Self Reliance” reference – what does the eyeball mean? [Find the sketch and analyze context]
19. 1960s fashion [find some images of women’s clothing and undergarments; examine changes in fashion and undergarments from late 50s to late 60s…]
20. Define Yonic Symbolism [examples, too]
21. Yin and Yang Signs [get a picture; print it large enough to show the class; what does it represent?]
22. Mandalas [sand art, meaning, significance]
23. Nitrogen Cycle [get chart/table; simplify]
24. 819 – is there a numerical significance [Mayan explanation?]
25. Saint Veronica [Jesus story; get photo of Veil of Veronica]
26. Baba (Wooden Russian Dolls) [if you have one, bring it in or print a picture; print it large enough to show the class What are they? With what are they associated?]
27. Define Surrealism
28. Salvador Dali’s painting “Persistence of Memory” [get a picture; print it large enough to show the class] What is represented? What does it mean? Look for analysis of painting.
29. Turtle Symbolism [hint: look for meaning in look in mythologies around the world – for example, Native American, Hindu, & Asian creation myths. What does the turtle represent?]
30. Marcel Duchamp (related to Dada; what is it with him and dust?
31. Manna [define; religious story]
32. Insect in amber [what is it; find image]
33. Dada (Dadaism) [how did it get its name?]
34. Try to place in context quote from Shakespeare’s King Lear : “That way madness lies.” What is it referencing?
35. Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa [get a picture; print it large enough to show the class; for what is it famous?]
36. Duchamp’s Mona Lisa (Dada) / “elle a chaud au cul” LHOOQ (related to Dada) [get a picture; print it large enough to show the class; why is it significant?]
37. Arp [related to Dada; what kinds of work did he produce? Images, please.]
38. Picabia [Related to Dada; what kinds of work did he produce? Images, please]
39. What is a barometer?
40. Kali Goddess of Chaos [find an image; print it large enough to show the class. Who is she? Tell her story. Be able to explain what she is wearing/why, what she does, why is her mouth open? ]
41. Sigmund Freud’s Perspective on Women / Female Psychoanalysis
42. Freud’s Id, Ego, Superego Theory
43. What is Dualism?
44. Tantalus [know story of his crime and punishment; find a depiction of it in art and print graphic]
45. Sisyphus [Greek Mythology]
46. Myth of Sisyphus [Albert Camus’s essay: what’s his take on Sisyphus?]
Paragraphs Forty-One to Forty-Three
47. “Fire and Ice” by Robert Frost [summarize/explain]
48. Define the Absurd [philosophical term]
49. Gibb’s Universe – brief explanation
50. Cosmic Egg [this appears in several creation myths; define creation myth elements; get a picture; print it large enough to show the class]
51. Parabolic Pathway
Whole Story Terms & Definitions
52. Define Metaphysical Conceit
53. Definition of avant garde
55. Description of Sue Kaufmann’s 1967 The Diary of a Mad Housewife
56. Definition of cognitive estrangement as used in literary criticism
57. What is Mrs. Beeton’s Book of Household Management and how would you describe it? Time period? Can you find a few quotes?
58. Overview/importance of Betty Friedan’s 1963 The Feminine Mystique
59. First Wave Feminism, Second Wave Feminism & Third Wave Feminism