End of the World
Pamela Zoline’s “The Heat Death of the Universe” Show & Tell Pre-Reading Research Activity
YOUR TASK: teach, show and tell your assigned terms to the class. I will call upon you to explain and define; sometimes you will need to show an image or diagram.
Use online databases through the Portnet site [for example: library ŕ reference ŕ Worldbook Encyclopedia or try PWPL Port Washington Public Library sites and seek encyclopedias like Britannica Online. I know the easy method is to Google things, but consider the validity of a site. How? CROSS REFERENCE: don’t just assume the first answer is correct. Visit multiple sites and compare and then synthesize! You will need to explain your term using your OWN words to the class: you’re the expert! Wherever possible, please print an image to illustrate the term.
Terms/Words/Names to Define
1. Ontology (not just the definition but an example, too)
3. Does hair grow after death?
4. Foraminifera [define and print large images to illustrate]
5. Define Existentialism
6. Sarah [name significance; Biblical?]
7. Boyle’s Law [physics, simplified]
8. Sloss [name significance pre-1967?]
9. J.S. Bach [type of musical style, form, brief bio; number of children]
10. Fugue [define the different kinds of fugues -- musical and psychological]
12. Alameda, California. Describe place.
13. La Florida expedition (Ponce de Leon)
14. Frosted Flakes history – include some taglines [print picture of box from late 60s]
15. Pop Art [define; see Andy Warhol; images, please]
16. Prove that ancient Greek statues were painted with bright colors
17. King Solomon’s Judgment [see two mothers’ story; how is he characterized?]
18. California Gold Rush / Manifest Destiny
19. Find examples of 1960s cereal box offers
20. Mind’s Eye definition
21. Transparent eyeball; Emerson’s “Self Reliance” reference – what does the eyeball mean? [Find the sketch and analyze context]
23. 1960s fashion [find some images of women’s clothing and undergarments; examine changes in fashion and undergarments from late 50s to late 60s…]
24. Define Yonic Symbolism [examples, too]
25. Yin and Yang Signs [get a picture; print it large enough to show the class; what does it represent?]
26. Mandalas [sand art, meaning, significance]
27. Nitrogen Cycle [get chart/table; simplify]
28. 819 – is there a numerical significance [This one is challenging. See if you can find anything!]
29. Define simulacra
30. Saint Veronica [Jesus story; get photo of Veil of Veronica]
31. Baba (Wooden Russian Dolls) [if you have one, bring it in or print a picture; print it large enough to show the class What are they? With what are they associated?]
32. Define Surrealism
33. Salvador Dali’s painting “Persistence of Memory” [get a picture; print it large enough to show the class] What is represented? What does it mean? Look for analysis of painting.
34. Turtle Symbolism [hint: look for meaning in look in mythologies around the world – for example, Native American, Hindu, & Asian creation myths. What does the turtle represent?]
35. Marcel Duchamp (related to Dada; what is it with him and dust?
36. Manna [define; religious story]
37. Insect in amber [what is it; find image]
38. “That way madness lies” is a quote from King Lear. Identify the significance and context
39. Dada (Dadaism) [how did it get its name?]
40. Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa [get a picture; print it large enough to show the class; for what is it famous?]
41. Duchamp’s Mona Lisa (Dada) / “elle a chaud au cul” LHOOQ (related to Dada) [get a picture; print it large enough to show the class; why is it significant?]
42. Arp [related to Dada; what kinds of work did he produce? Images, please.]
43. Picabia [Related to Dada; what kinds of work did he produce? Images, please]
44. What is a barometer?
45. Kali Goddess of Chaos [find an image; print it large enough to show the class. Who is she? Tell her story. Be able to explain what she is wearing/why, what she does, why is her mouth open? ]
46. Sigmund Freud’s Perspective on Women / Female Psychoanalysis
47. Freud’s Id, Ego, Superego Theory
48. What is Dualism?
49. Tantalus [know story of his crime and punishment; find a depiction of it in art and print graphic]
50. Sisyphus [Greek Mythology]
51. Myth of Sisyphus [Albert Camus’s essay: what’s his take on Sisyphus?]
Paragraphs Forty-One to Forty-Three
52. “Fire and Ice” by Robert Frost [summarize/explain]
53. Define the Absurd [philosophical term]
55. Gibb’s Universe – brief explanation
56. What does “The very hairs on your head…” mean and where does it come from?
57. Cosmic Egg [this appears in several creation myths; define creation myth elements; get a picture; print it large enough to show the class]
58. Parabolic Pathway
Whole Story Terms & Definitions
59. Define Metaphysical Conceit
60. Definition of avant garde
62. Description of Sue Kaufmann’s 1967 The Diary of a Mad Housewife
63. Definition of cognitive estrangement as used in literary criticism
64. What is Mrs. Beeton’s Book of Household Management and how would you describe it? Time period? Can you find a few quotes?
65. Overview/importance of Betty Friedan’s 1963 The Feminine Mystique
66. First Wave Feminism, Second Wave Feminism & Third Wave Feminism