The Oedipus Newspaper Project
Oedipus Rex is filled with events and complicated truths. Your task is to take a journalist’s perspective and create a newspaper for the people of Thebes in order understand the events that have just transpired. You will write articles, proofread, and finally assemble the articles into a facsimile newspaper using Publisher.
1. Write a news story (~250 words):
· The sews story is about one event in the play. Interview the subject, those closes to him/her, an authority source, and a witness. Use the inverted pyramid format, unbiased, no “I,” succinct paragraphs (1-3 sentences long).
2. Write a feature. This is an human interest story (should target ~ 500-1000 words):
· Write a profile piece about one character in the play using direct quotes from the play and made up quotes to develop your angle. Interview the subject, those closes to him/her, an authority source, and a witness. Create a DOMINANT IMPRESSION to center your piece. Include physical description, quotes, background, philosophy, etc. to support your central focus. No Q and A format. Embed the quotes naturally.
3. Editorial. Choose one from the following (~350-500 words):
· Write an editorial about a topic that “should” change in the Theban world.
· Write an editorial about a topic that must be praised in the Theban world.
4. Write a Review. Choose one from the following (~500 words):
· Review a Theban restaurant, book, play, game or concert.
5. “Extra Credit Touches”
· Advertisements for Theban products
· Details of a real newspaper
· Create a comic pertinent to the themes/ideas of the play
· Advice column for the people of Thebes and the characters of the play.
Please include graphics in your final product with captions. Make your final piece look like a newspaper!