Homework #1: Oh Goody!
My Very First Homework Assignment!
Welcome back! Itís back to school and we are ready to begin the semester with a homework assignment. By next class period, please make sure that you have completed the following tasks.
TASK #1: Secure yourself a notebook for English class. Because I distribute a heavy number of handouts, you must have a loose leaf binder for filing things. A folder is OK, but will probably not be as sufficient or as organized as a binder.
TASK #2: You have been given a black and white marble composition notebook. We will use it throughout the semester for many types of activities and note-taking. [See the notebook rubric.]
Right now, everyone in the class possesses a journal that looks identical to the next studentís. Blah! Your job is to create a collage on the cover (front and back) that REPRESENTS you. Not only are you creating a cover that you will carry around with you all semester, but we will scan your cover and use it the primary graphic for your online portfolio you will create later in the term. Therefore, you want to make this good! [Check out some of last semesterís collages at www.surfturk.com on the Cyber Scholars Page.]
For your collage, you may use magazine photos, words, paint, stickers, crayons, glue, fabric, Barbie clothes, string, or whatever you want. However, your collage must follow these guidelines:
- Do not use photographs of yourself or your family. Because this will be online, no personal information that might compromise your safety is allowed. [Yes, I know, previous students used photos, but this policy has changed.]
- Do not write your name on the outside of the notebook. Please write it on the inside.
- Think in SYMBOLS and SYMBOLISM. Choose objects and colors that help describe who you are. This is a visual poem/essay. You will be asked to write about yourself.
- Create the visual poem/essay to include aspects of your past, present, and future dreams. You can create a hodge-podge collage, or you may create three distinct sections. You must include aspects of all three parts.
- Be appropriate. Remember, this is a school assignment and it will be published. When in doubt, save it for your locker décor.
- Fill ALL the space (unless there is a deliberate artistic reason you chose to leave some of the marble showing). It scans a whole lot better and looks great.
- Be prepared for the next assignment: you will be asked to write the narrative explaining why you included what you did in your collage cover. Therefore, make sure that everything you include is important and truly helps describe you.
- To keep the collage together, students in the past have used glue and clear packaging tape. It is also recommended that you use a plastic cover or laminate to keep your collage intact when completed. You may purchase a clear book cover and cut it down to size or use a plastic sheet protector and create your own. This will be especially necessary if you used 3D supplies such as fabric or doll clothes.
Please have this completed for the next class. You will be asked to very briefly describe (orally) what you did. In other words, you share yourself with the rest of the class.