Reading: The Reader Responses (100 points)
outside reading requirement in this course is to adopt PRINT magazines and read
one cover to cover every week. The
publication/s you choose will be yours all marking period, so chose wisely! You
may choose either
- A weekly publication
- Four monthly
publications within one genre (sports, fashion, politics)
- Four different monthly
will be asked to write up a one page (minimum), single spaced response EACH week. Each is worth 10 points. At the end of the marking period, you will
have 10 x 10 = 100 points. You will
submit each response to turnitin.com.
will need to use evidence (text-based evidence AKA TBE) from the writing and
style to illustrate your points.
Beginning Response Guidelines:
Always include the following
in each response:
- Have the date and publication name on each
- Describe this publication: audience, style, tone,
- What connections can you make from course content
to what you read? (Find and explain what articles connect to the current
unit (i.e., new, profile, review, editorial, etc.). Be specific.
- Highlight 2 interesting articles from this
week. Cite titles and authors. What interested you? Why? Describe the
type of article.
to address one or more of the following in your response:
- Comment on the presentation/layout. Is it appealing? Why or why not? What
choices in photos/artwork and spacing have been made to pull you into
stories? In other words, how does
the page layout work for you? Explain with specifics.
- What did you learn this week from the publication?
Could be content, style, layout, etc.
- How does this week/monthís publication differ
from last week/month? Or, If you have different
publications: what observations can
you make comparing and contrasting the publications?
- What is the theme of this publication for
this date? You may consider not
only the publicationís attitude, but what specific content has been