adjective 1. exceptionally pleasing to taste or smell; especially delicious or fragrant. 2. worthy of the gods; divine.
2. degeneration, decline, or decrease, as from disuse: He argued that there was a progressive atrophy of freedom and independence of thought.
1. of or like the dawn.
–noun 1. a follower of Bacchus. 2. a drunken reveler. 3. an occasion of drunken revelry; orgy; bacchanalia.
1. arousing or satisfying sexual desire: an erotic dance.
2. of, pertaining to, or treating of sexual love; amatory: an erotic novel.
3. subject to or marked by strong sexual desire.
1. any hairy plant belonging to the genus Heliotropium, of the borage family, as H. arborescens, cultivated for its small, fragrant purple flowers.
2. any of various other plants, as the valerian or the winter heliotrope. 3. any plant that turns toward the sun. 4. a light tint of purple; reddish lavender. 5. Surveying . an arrangement of mirrors for reflecting sunlight from a distant point to an observation station.
–noun Anatomy . a fold of mucous membrane partly closing the external orifice of the vagina in a virgin.
2. Botany . any plant of the genus Iris, having showy flowers and sword-shaped leaves. Compare iris family. 3. a flower of this plant. 4. ( initial capital letter ) Classical Mythology . a messenger of the gods, regarded as the goddess of the rainbow. 5. a rainbow. 6. any appearance resembling a rainbow. 7. Movies, Television . an iris-in or iris-out. 8. Optics, Photography . iris diaphragm.
–adjective 1. displaying a play of lustrous colors like those of the rainbow.
–noun 2. an iridescent cloth, material, or other substance: new fall dresses of imported iridescents.
1. endowed with or characterized by a hearty, joyous humor or a spirit of good-fellowship: a wonderfully jovial host. 2. ( initial capital letter ) of or pertaining to the god Jove, or Jupiter.
1. inclined or disposed to war; warlike: The ancient Romans were a martial people. 2.
of, suitable for, or associated with war or the armed forces: martial music. 3. characteristic of or befitting a warrior: a martial stride.
1. changeable; volatile; fickle; flighty; erratic: a mercurial nature. 2. animated; lively; sprightly; quick-witted. 3. pertaining to, containing, or caused by the metal mercury. 4. ( initial capital letter ) of or pertaining to the god Mercury.
1. assisting or intended to assist the memory. 2. pertaining to mnemonics or to memory.
noun 3. something intended to assist the memory, as a verse or formula. 4. Computers. a programming code that is easy to remember, as STO for “store.”
–noun a building or place where works of art, scientific specimens, or other objects of permanent value are kept and displayed.
–noun Pathology . abnormally excessive and uncontrollable sexual desire in women.
Panic (From Pan, satyr)
noun, adjective, verb, pan·icked, pan·ick·ing.
1. a sudden overwhelming fear, with or without cause, that produces hysterical or irrational behavior, and that often spreads quickly through a group of persons or animals. 2. an instance, outbreak, or period of such fear. 3. Finance. a sudden widespread fear concerning financial affairs leading to credit contraction and widespread sale of securities at depressed prices in an effort to acquire cash. 4. Slang. someone or something that is considered hilariously funny: The comedian was an absolute panic.
1. pertaining to dancing. 2. ( initial capital letter ) of or pertaining to Terpsichore.
noun 3. a dancer.
1. ( initial capital letter ) of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the Titans. 2. Also, titan. of enormous size, strength, power, etc.; gigantic.
noun, plural vol·ca·noes, vol·ca·nos.
1. a vent in the earth's crust through which lava, steam, ashes, etc., are expelled, either continuously or at irregular intervals. 2. a mountain or hill, usually having a cuplike crater at the summit, formed around such a vent from the ash and lava expelled through it.